2015-2017 Tacoma Poet Laureate Cathy Nguyen performs at B Sharp.
Call to Artists for 2017-2019 Tacoma Poet Laureate
Application Deadline: February 27, 2017, 11:59 PM
- Must live in Pierce County and be actively engaged in Tacoma’s creative community
- Practicing artist, dedicated to producing poetry (in any form, genre, or style) on a regular basis
- 18 years or older
- Not a previous Tacoma Poet Laureate title holder
- Not a current Tacoma Arts Commission member, City Council member, City of Tacoma staff member, or Tacoma Poet Laureate selection panel member
The Tacoma Arts Commission announces the seventh annual Tacoma Poet Laureate competition, the winner of which will be named Tacoma Poet Laureate for 2017-2019.
The Tacoma Poet Laureate will hold the title for a period of two years, from May 2017 to April 2019, and receive a stipend of $4,000. The individual will actively contribute to and advance Tacoma’s literary community in meaningful ways through readings, performances, workshops, presentations, publications and/or special projects; participate in Tacoma Arts Month each October; and help produce the 2019 Tacoma Poet Laureate ceremony to announce the next Poet Laureate.
In keeping with the City of Tacoma’s Equity and Empowerment Initiative, the Tacoma Poet Laureate should actively strive to engage the breadth of Tacoma’s citizenry, expanding access to the literary arts to underserved/underrepresented audiences including people of different races/ethnicities, ages, sexual orientation and identity, ability, and income.
People who are members of historically disenfranchised racial, ethnic, cultural, and other identity groups are encouraged to apply.
Current Tacoma Poet Laureate Cathy Nguyen will curate and host a poetry event at which the winner of this year’s Poet Laureate competition will be awarded. The event is will be held on Saturday, April 29, 6 PM. The event location will be announced.
The artist selected as Tacoma Poet Laureate must be willing and able to:
- Offer a minimum of two free public workshops in Tacoma each year relating to poetry (four workshops total.)
- Actively contribute to and advance Tacoma’s literary community in meaningful ways through readings, performances, workshops, presentations, publications, special projects, etc. as negotiated with the City’s Arts Program staff.
- Participate in Tacoma Arts Month programming each October.
- Competently handle administrative duties including being the point of contact for all programming inquiries from the public, managing a schedule, arranging details for programs, and coordinating press releases with City’s Arts Program staff.
- Help produce, with the assistance of the City of Tacoma’s Arts Program, an event in Tacoma in April 2019 to announce the winner of the 2019-2021 Tacoma Poet Laureate program.
How to Apply
Visit www.cityoftacoma.org/artsopps for all the details and apply at https://tacomaarts.submittable.com/submit.
Contact Naomi Strom-Avila at email@example.com or (253) 591-5191.