SPECIAL ARTSCAPES PROJECT APPLICATION GUIDELINES
Spaceworks Tacoma and Downtown On The Go are currently seeking applications for a special Artscapes project at 11th and Market in downtown Tacoma. Deadline to apply is June 25 at 5pm PST
Overview of partnering programs:
Spaceworks Tacoma is a joint initiative of the City of Tacoma and the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber of Commerce designed to activate empty storefronts and vacant space. The initiative makes no- and low-cost temporary space, training, and technical assistance available to artists, creative entrepreneurs, organizations, and community groups in order to nurture successful projects that transform Tacoma into a stronger, more active city. www.SpaceworksTacoma.com
Downtown On the Go is the transportation advocate for anyone whose daily life is downtown. It is a program steered by a board of directors representing 20 downtown businesses, organizations, and agencies committed to leveraging their resources and relationships to reduce the downtown drive alone rate by 11% by 2015. http://www.downtownonthego.com/
Special Artscapes Project Description:
Spaceworks Tacoma and Downtown On The Go (DOTG) are teaming up to facilitate new Artscapes for the building walls at 11th and Market in downtown Tacoma. We are seeking artist(s), artist teams and/or community groups to transform the current “Chalk Walls” into temporary 2-dimensional, site-specific installations (Artscapes) with a theme of transportation. Artists are asked to submit proposals that will create a space that adds to the livability of downtown and positively reflects living, moving, or being downtown Tacoma.
The building is located at 953 Market Street, Tacoma, WA98402. There are 15 wood panels total ranging in size from 150 SF to 400 SF. The Artscapes will be up for a period of 6 months and the artist will assume maintenance of the installations. Please submit proposals for all or part of the panels being offered with special attention paid to excluding the brick areas that are not currently painted green.
This project offers a stipend of $2,000 total (for materials, artists’ time and maintenance) for all panels located on 11th and on Market Streets. Applicants can propose to create an Artscape on only one side of the building, i.e. 11th street OR Market Street, for a stipend of $1000 per street side.
June 12, 2013 Application available
June 25, 2013, 5pm PST Deadline for application submission
July 11, 2013 Review of applications and selection of artist(s)
Mid-July Notification of selection results
August 2013 Artscapes implementation
Selected artists must agree to the following:
- This building is for sale, so the artists must be willing to deinstall the piece if the property owner finds a buyer within the negotiated timeframe
- Present destination quality artwork
- Maintain a high quality installation
- Create an enticing visual display for passersby
- Partner with Spaceworks Tacoma and DOTG to market and promote the installation
- Comply with all federal, state, and local laws
- Understand that initial payment is made within 30 days after installation, upon receipt of an invoice, and that payments cannot be made until contracts have been fully processed. A portion of payment is retained until deinstallation is complete.
Selection Criteria: Artists will be selected based on the following criteria.
- Quality of work as exhibited in the work sample
- Feasibility and ability to execute proposal
- Ingenuity and strength of concept/proposal
- Appropriateness for the public realm
Applications to the Spaceworks program are reviewed by a panel of artists, arts professionals, Spaceworks Steering Committee members, representatives of neighborhood groups, and/or commercial property owners.
Questions? Or if you would like schematic drawings or photos of the panel walls, please contact Gabriel Brown, Spaceworks Arts & Economic Development Intern 253.682.1735, GabrielB@tacomachamber.org
- 5-10 digital images that demonstrate the artist’s past work. Whenever possible, include images of similar past projects. Artists applying as a team who have no examples of joint work in the past should submit 5 images of each artist’s work.
o File Format: Submit only “High” quality JPEG files (do not use GIF, TIFF, or other formats.) Do not embed the images into PowerPoint or submit moving image or audio files.
o Image Size: Images must be atleast 72 ppi resolution and 1000 pixels max on the largest side.
o File Size: Files must be less than 2 MB each
o File Labeling: Files must be titled with the applicant’s name followed by a number indicating the viewing order. Use a “0” in front of single digit numbers and use only letters, numbers, and underscores. For example: Smith_01.jpg; Smith_02.jpg. If using Mac OS 8 or later, be sure to include a “.jpg” extension at the end of each image title.
o File Upload: In the application, please upload your images in the order to be viewed.
- AND/OR up to three Online Videos of the applicant’s past public interactions
o Please provide the exact web address(es) where the online videos can be viewed. The panel will view a minimum of 1 minute and a maximum of 3 minutes of each video.
WORK SAMPLE DESCRIPTIONS
Provide the following information on the online application form for each image:
- Title of each work represented in the image or activity depicted
- Media & dimensions (H x W x D”), if applicable, or description of activity
- If work is presented as part of a collaboration, explain your role in the larger project
RESUME (three pages or less)
- If submitting as a team/group, a current resume should be submitted for the contact person and all relevant team/group members
- Save as PDF. File should be 1 MB or less.
- Name your resume file with your last name like this: “Smith_ Resume.pdf”
Outline your proposal concept for this transportation-themed Artscapes installation. We are looking for a clear idea of your project and your ability to successfully implement it. Be as concise as possible. The review panel will not read more than the designated word count. You may answer in narrative, bulleted or other form. (500 words/3,000 characters or less)
Please submit a proposal sketch or other visual aid for your project. Submit a jpg using the same guidelines as listed for the digital image work samples, or submit a PDF document (3 MB max.)
Ready to apply? Click here to go to the online application. We suggest you gather all your materials before starting the application. If you have problems with the online application please contact Gabriel Brown, Spaceworks Arts & Economic Development Intern 253.682.1735, GabrielB@tacomachamber.org.